Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pregnancy Week 35 - Sunday January 18th, 2009

Dear Nakasone-Chan,

I had a feeling this was not going to be a good day. First off the Eagles lost to the Cardinals in the NFC championship plus day one of my bed rest was already starting to drive me crazy. How can you sit in bed all day? I didn’t think it was going to be hard considering my two favorite things are sleeping and watching TV. Maybe it’s the nesting instinct in me, but all I wanted to do was get up and clean the house. I didn’t realize how tiring it is to be stuck in bed all day. How ironic.

Around 5pm, we made our way over to the hospital for our first fetal monitoring appointment. I told your dad to come along since I figured it would only take about an hour.

At the hospital, we made our way over to Labor and Delivery where they placed us in a temporary room and hooked us up to a fetal monitor. From there the nurse checked my blood pressure (still high) and my reflexes (another sign of pre-eclampsia is jerky reflexes). Thankfully there was a TV in the room where we passed the time watching the Steelers/Ravens game. Literally about 3 hours later a nurse came into the room and told us that they would be admitting me into the hospital for the night. UGH, now what? Apparently, you were not reacting well to some of the mild contractions I was having. While the nurse said this could be a fluke (many babies don’t handle contractions well), my doctor wanted to admit me into the hospital over night to continue monitoring just to be safe.

10 minutes later my nurse comes in with an IV. My doctor wanted me hooked up to an IV to prevent dehydration. I instantly feel sick. Needles in the hand petrify me. Stick me a 100xs any other place, but not in my hand. I start shaking as the nurse starts to prep the IV. She sticks me 1x on the left hand and of course gets nothing. I think I made her nervous considering I was shaking, so she called in another nurse to try and insert the IV. Nurse #2 sticks me 2 times and again comes up with nothing. They call in nurse #3 who thankfully does the deed and manages to hit a vein. Looking back, this was probably one of the worst parts of the entire experience. Here I am with my battle wounds:













The nurse explains that they will continue to monitor you through the night and based on the results will determine a plan in the morning.

I send Jon home to get a good nights sleep (lucky him) because there wasn’t any beds in my “temporary” room. My night however was spent being woken up every couple of hours to check my vitals and the beeping of my obnoxious IV (the IV is ultra sensitive and will beep if I move a certain way… only a nurse can turn the beeping off).

At this point, I still remember feeling fairly confident that things would turn out OK. The nurses assured me that you were still fine inside of me and that they would respond immediately at the first sign of any trouble. I was still nervous, but had this gut feeling that every thing would work out in the end. I just didn’t realize how fast things would move in the morning.

Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Oh COME ON... YOU ARE KILLING ME!